Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Books I've Read So Far in 2015

I love to read, but sometimes I hate to start a new book. Why? Because I can become consumed with reading, letting things fall to the wayside so I can finish a book. Sound familiar to anyone?

One of my favorite suspense authors is Brandilyn Collins. I just finished her book Dark Pursuit. Before that I read her book Exposure. She is a Christian author, but Christianity plays a subtle role in her suspense novels. Her suspense, though, keeps you on the edge of your seat and turning the pages. If you like good, clean suspense, try any of Brandilyn's books.

Also, if you like suspense and want to read Christian authors, try Ted Dekker and Colleen Coble.

I'm currently reading a few books, Finding Mr. Write by Carol Moncado, Double Vision by Randy Ingermanson, By The Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer. I know I'll finish Tricia Goyer's first because out of the three, this has held my interest the most.

Yesterday I purchased for my Kindle a short story/book Red Skies by Shari Broyer. I got it because it was free and I know Shari. I finished it in about an hour. It was a decent, short story and held my interest. I wouldn't give it five stars, though, although I like Shari and feel bad for saying that. I have to be truthful.

Also, so far this year of 2015, I read When We Were On Fire: A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over by Addie Zierman. I got this -- and paid over $10 for the Kindle version, and I NEVER pay that much for a Kindle book -- because someone I trust in the community of writers gave it five stars and a glowing review. I have to be honest, this book disturbed me.

I found Addie to be shallow. She made herself the "victim" in every chapter. Over things that weren't that traumatic. Maybe it's just me, and many who read her book will criticize me for criticizing Addie, but that's how I felt.

I plan to do a blog about the book. But for now, I encourage you to read. Read for entertainment. Read to study how other authors wield their style of writing. Read because all good writers are readers.

My pile of books to be read -- both literal and in my Kindle -- make me groan!



No comments:

Post a Comment